Why would you write Ansible roles for multiple distributions?
I got some feedback in a discussion with the audience at DevOps Amsterdam.
My statement are:
- “Keep your code as simple as possible”
- “Write roles for multiple distributions” (To improve logic.)
These two contradict eachother: simplicity would mean 1 role for 1 (only my) distribution.
Hm, that’s a very fair point. Still I think writing for multiple operating systems is a good thing, for these reasons:
- You get a better understanding of all the operating systems. For example Ubuntu is (nearly) identical to Debian, SUSE is very similar to Red Hat.
- By writing for multiple distributions, the logic (in
tasks/main.yml) becomes more stable.
- It’s just very useful to be able to switch distributions without switching roles.